All of our Equality Services are provided by Kath Sutherland and her support team. Kath is the Founder of START Ability Services and has been recognised with numerous acknowledgements and accolades for her innovative work in removing the barriers to participation in society.
She has a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and has published research for the Economic and Social Research Council. She is currently submitting her thesis for a Doctorate in Education highlighting the barriers faced and facilitation methods used to support people with learning difficulties (“learning disabilities”).
Kath has acted as Chair to several advocacy organisations over many years and has been a member of various Steering Groups and Committees relating to inclusive education, barriers to employment for disabled people and the implementation of independent living strategies. To this end, Kath is a member of the NICE Collaborating Centre for Social Care Guideline Development Group on the “transition between inpatient hospital settings and community or care home settings for adults with social care needs”, as well as a member of the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s Co-Production Network. She has also acted as an advisor to many organisations and individuals with regard to the impairment related issues of disabled people.
Our tailor made service has a number of specialities. All of our work is based on the core principles of equality and diversity, along with a sprinkling of common-sense :
Equality Support Services
- Work Advice Service
- Disability Confident training and support based on your organisation’s needs.
- Monitoring of policies and practices to facilitate inclusivity.
- Individual programmes of Customer Service Training.
- Training for Events Organisers, Hotel Owners, Care Agency Staff and Statutory Service Providers in meeting the needs of disabled clients.
- Support with negotiations to resolve impairment related issues at work.
- “Translation” of core documents into accessible plain English and Easy Read formats.
- Research into Equality Issues.
- Targeted support to access information to make an informed choice.
Speaker and Facilitator Services
If you would like more information, or you would like to discuss your specific needs, please do not hesitate to contact us.